Tap Water Versus Bottled Water
- Almost half of all bottled water is regular tap water
- Fact: bottled water is no safer than tap water.
- 40% of bottled water is filtered tap water sold back
to consumers at hundreds of times the cost.
- Both tap water and bottled water are evaluated
using similar standards. However, tap water
is tested far more frequently and has more
independent oversight by state and federal
environmental authorities (EPA and DEP).
- Tap water system operators must be certified and our water is frequently
tested by labs. Such testing is not required for water bottlers.
- Lacking adequate capacity to regulated bottled water, our government relies on bottled
water corporations to police themselves, which in some cases has resulted in bottled
water contamination that has lasted for weeks before the public was warned.
- Bottled water corporations spend tens of millions of dollars each year to convince
us that their products are safer and more pure than tap water. It is just not true.
All stainless steel water
bottles are 100% recyclable